Midnight snowman
I thought I heard the livingroom windows rattle.Must be the wind. A few seconds later I heard a tap again,this time more insistent. I could no longer put it down to my imagination or the wind howling outside. I creeped downstairs,the stairs creaking in protest as their precious hours of slumber were interrupted. Barely audible sighs and mumbles from my family could be heard as they sunk deeper into their dreams. I reached the front door. Peering through the glass, I identified a sillhoute of a man outlining the glass. I realised I hadn't locked the door. All the intruder would have to do is turn the knob and he would be in. Horrified,I quickly locked the door and bolted the chain.
Hesitantly,I slid the side window open a creak "yes?" The man outside cleared his throat, "Hi,i'm Steve. I live over on ****, i'm sorry it's so late,but would you like me to clear your driveway for you,only five dollars ?" I glanced at the clock behind me,my eyeborws shot up in surprise '2:05.' With a gaze intended to analyze and scrutinise, my eyes studied him. Once more I raised my eyebrows,making it clear, offering to clean driveways at 2 am certified he was a blue blooded deliquent. "Sorry,not now." I eased the window close. He tapped again, "make it three then?" This was an offer far too good to pass up. I told him to wait a second. I woke my father up and explained the situation to him. He was far too sleepy to fully comprehend what what was going on, but gave the man three dollars through hole in the window netting. The stranger nodded gratefuly "thank you sir." I slept fitfuly that night,had I locked the door properly,was he digging a tunnel throigh the snow......The next morning I dashed downstairs to see the results,had he scammed us,was he just some drunk? The snow had been cleared completely to reveal black asphalt slick with rain. If someone named Steve turns up at your door at an ungoldy hour offering to shovel yor snow,please tell him the sleepy occupants of the house with the broken lampost out front, send their thanks.
Hesitantly,I slid the side window open a creak "yes?" The man outside cleared his throat, "Hi,i'm Steve. I live over on ****, i'm sorry it's so late,but would you like me to clear your driveway for you,only five dollars ?" I glanced at the clock behind me,my eyeborws shot up in surprise '2:05.' With a gaze intended to analyze and scrutinise, my eyes studied him. Once more I raised my eyebrows,making it clear, offering to clean driveways at 2 am certified he was a blue blooded deliquent. "Sorry,not now." I eased the window close. He tapped again, "make it three then?" This was an offer far too good to pass up. I told him to wait a second. I woke my father up and explained the situation to him. He was far too sleepy to fully comprehend what what was going on, but gave the man three dollars through hole in the window netting. The stranger nodded gratefuly "thank you sir." I slept fitfuly that night,had I locked the door properly,was he digging a tunnel throigh the snow......The next morning I dashed downstairs to see the results,had he scammed us,was he just some drunk? The snow had been cleared completely to reveal black asphalt slick with rain. If someone named Steve turns up at your door at an ungoldy hour offering to shovel yor snow,please tell him the sleepy occupants of the house with the broken lampost out front, send their thanks.
posted by Aishah @ 3:05 am
|
